Monday, July 19, 2010

One More Time Now

Yet again I have Failed to save the life of a animal, specifically a wood pecker.
This year I have tried unsuccessfully to save three birds and one rabbit...

Day before yesterday My little sister rescued a Woodpecker,"It's not hurt!" "here you take care of it"goes my dad and little sister.

So I decide to give it a try and take it in my hands. I look under the left wing...
And what do I see.... A bloody mess! Its wing bone was sticking out.

So What do I do ?
I decide to look it up on the all knowing Internet.
But for the first time it fails me, no detailed description of what to do if you find a bird with a broken wing.
Instead it ether told you to put it out of its misery or send it to a wildlife rescue.

So I go with what I know.
My tools for the repairing of the wing
  • scissors
  • vet rap
  • antibiotic ointment
  • Gauze pads

What I fed it for The 36 hours I had with it.
  •  Fish food pellets soaked in water
Fish Food?
Let me explain, when I was younger and had more talent in saving birds I found a baby Woodpecker that did know to be afraid and raised it to flying ability on fish food soaked in water.

I then started to let it outside to climb around in one our many oak trees.
And at the end of  the day I would call it down and it would slowly and clumsily get back down to me to be put up for the night.

Red Cap then started to fly around and explore the mountains and others of his species, and then one day he left.
A week later a wood pecker flew right over my head and flew around me.
It was Redcap.

But alas this tale did not end so happily as he died later the next afternoon.

But I comfort my self with the memory's of the animals that I have Successfully rescued.

  • Redcap the woodpecker
  • Piggy the pigeon that thinks hes a chicken
  • Baby red tailed hawk , gave it to the wildlife rescue
  • And numerous dogs and cats and snakes
  • Chiclet My one legged chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment